How to build an entire project using AI in minutes? Use this open-source library named gpt-engineer 🤖
How does GPT engineer work?
gpt-engineer is very easy to use. You give instructions on what you want to build. AI analyzes it, asks you for a few more questions for clarification, and then generates a codebase. You can also incrementally build it and improve it by giving more prompts.
Here’s a demo where we build a snake game using gpt-engineer:
- One prompt generates a codebase
- Asks clarifying questions
- Generates technical spec
- Writes all necessary code
- Easy to add your own reasoning steps, modify, and experiment
- Open source
- Lets you finish a coding project in minutes.
- Simple to get value
- Flexible and easy to add new own “AI steps”.
- Incrementally build towards a user experience of:
- high-level prompting
- giving feedback to the AI that it will remember over time
- Fast handovers back and forth between AI and human
- Simplicity, all computation is “resumable” and persisted to the filesystem
Choose either stable or development.
For stable release:
pip install gpt-engineer
git clone [email protected]:AntonOsika/gpt-engineer.git
With an api key that has GPT4 access run:
export OPENAI_API_KEY=[your api key]
- Create an empty folder. If inside the repo, you can run:
cp -r projects/example/ projects/my-new-project
- Fill in the
main_promptfile in your new folder
- Check the generated files in
Implementing additional chain of thought prompting, e.g. Reflexion, should be able to make it more reliable and not miss requested functionality in the main prompt.
Sharing prompts across the projects
You can specify the “identity” of the AI agent by editing the files in the
Editing the identity, and evolving the
main_prompt, is currently how you make the agent remember things between projects.
Each step in
steps.py will have its communication history with GPT4 stored in the logs folder, and can be rerun with
Next, Make it bootstrap. Which means: A “gpt engineer” prompt should generate all functionality of the gpt-engineer repo itself.
- Flutter lookup failed in @fields error (solved) - July 14, 2023
- Free open source alternative to Notion along with AI - July 13, 2023
- Threads API for developers for programmatic access - July 12, 2023