I am writing a new series on Raspberry Pi hacks so starting with beginners guide to setup a raspberry for those who never used a Raspberry Pi before.I am explaining the simplest method to setup a raspberry pi 3 mode B without using any external USB keyboard or mouse.
Raspberry Pi is a single board computer.You can connect it to USB Mouse, keyboard, and an HDMI monitor and you are ready with a computer.
- Raspberry Pi 3 ( Buy it on Amazon @ 3000 INR approx)
- High-speed SD card ( Class 10 )
- Ethernet Cable
- Wifi Router ( Ethernet support )
- Any laptop ( Process below is for Windows 10 laptop )
Step by step guide for the set up:
>> Os installation
- first, take your newly ordered raspberry pi and connect it to a power source.Any standard mobile charger can work. (+5.1 v/ 2.5 A)
- Now take the SD card and using a USB Card reader, connect it to your laptop.we need to install the OS first.
- Download the OS file from Raspberry website. I am going with Raspbian Jessie with Pixel.
- Using an image burning tool like etcher, burn the downloaded image to your SD card.
- After the process completes check if all the files are there on the SD card.
>> Accessing the raspberry’s OS
- Since we don’t have any USB Mouse, Keyboard or Monitor to connect, we need to connect our raspberry with a remote SSH Client.
- Download putty for windows in your laptop.
- Meanwhile, we need to perform a simple hack here as SSH is disabled by default in raspberry.Open SD card folder using the card reader and place a file named SSH without any extension. This can be done using a windows command too. >> echo *pathname “E:\ “* > ssh
- Now we need to install one more software named IP Scanner to get our host IP of Raspberry Pi.
- Connect your Raspberry to the wifi router using the Ethernet cable, make sure that your laptop is on the same wifi network.
- Using IP Scanner get the IP of Raspberry Pi and Using Putty client try connecting to your Raspberry PI.
- If a warning screen comes, proceed and enter your username (raspberry) and password (pi).
- You are logged in to your Raspberry Pi using CLI. Now we need to activate GUI and get the GUI desktop version.Since we don’t have a monitor to connect directly, we will try another method.
- Enter to Raspi- config by entering the command in SSH CLI. >> sudo raspi-config
- Navigate through interface options and enable VNC and enable Desktop/GUI on start preference.Reboot.
- Download a VNC viewer for your Desktop/Android.
- Open the VNC Viewer app and enter the credentials to get GUI of your raspberry pi.
Now you are ready with your Raspberry and can proceed for more hacks.
- Smart TV hack with Raspberry pi 3 - July 5, 2017
- Beginner’s guide to set up a Raspberry ( no external keyboard, mouse required) - June 28, 2017